Future Health Pioneers: KNIME Digital Health Innovation Hackathon
Welcome to the Future Health Pioneers: KNIME Digital Health Innovation Hackathon! We believe that healthcare students and professionals like you have the potential to transform the industry with innovative solutions to data-driven challenges. No longer limited by coding expertise, you can now harness the power of KNIME, a no-code data science platform, to create groundbreaking prototype solutions. This unique event aims to bring together current students from health-related fields and other disciplines in order to empower you to work collaboratively and leverage your training and experience to shape the future of healthcare. Specific targeted disciplines are:
- Medicine (MD, pre-med)
- Pharmacy (PharmD, pre-pharmacy)
- Dentistry (DDS, pre-dentistry)
- Allied Health
- Biomedical Science Tracks and Biomedical Research Tracks
- Computer Science
Join us, and unleash your potential as a Future Health Pioneer!
Welcome to the Future Health Pioneers: KNIME Digital Health Innovation Hackathon! In today's rapidly evolving healthcare landscape, digital health and data-driven decision making have become increasingly important. The integration of large datasets, digital devices, and artificial intelligence is revolutionizing the way we approach healthcare, making it safer, more effective, and more affordable for everyone.
As we continue to witness the transformative power of technology, it is essential for healthcare professionals to embrace these advancements and harness their potential. From personalized medicine to predictive analytics, digital health is breaking new ground and improving patient outcomes. The ability to analyze vast amounts of data has led to enhanced diagnostics, targeted treatment plans, and a greater understanding of population health trends.
Healthcare professionals, as the frontline workers in this dynamic field, are often the first to identify innovative solutions that can address pressing challenges. However, until now, they have been hamstrung by the perceived barrier of coding expertise. That's where KNIME – a game-changing no-code data science platform – comes in!
KNIME empowers healthcare professionals, like you, to tap into your domain-specific knowledge and develop data-driven solutions without requiring extensive coding skills. By participating in this event, you will join forces with fellow students from health professions training programs, utilizing KNIME's user-friendly interface to turn your innovative ideas into tangible prototypes.
Together, we can harness the cutting edge advances in computer science to solve the big challenges in healthcare!
Every hackathon participant will receive:
- A digital badge for their attendance and successful project completion/presentation, which can be added to social media profiles and CVs
- Access to all KNIME certification exams for free
First, Second and Third Place Team Members
- Digital badge & real trophy for ranked place
- Award Ceremony video shared on KNIME TV (YouTube)
- KNIME gadget bag for each team member
Second & First Place Team Members
- Project Presentation at a Data Connect North America hybrid event (Austin, August, 2023)
- Free attendance to one of KNIME L4 courses
First Place Team Members
- The three (3) members of the winning team will be offered:
- A paid Summer internship at KNIME Inc. The internships will occur onsite in the KNIME office in Austin, TX, and last four (4) to six (6) weeks between July 10, 2023 and August 18, 2023. The exact duration will depend on each intern’s availability. Lodging in Austin will be provided for the duration of each internship.
- an interview in the LinkedIn Live interview series My Data Guest with Aline Bessa, Data Scientist at KNIME.
- Registration for the event will open on May 10th and will close on June 9th.
- The event is scheduled for June 17-18, 2023 (Saturday - Sunday).
- The whole event will be virtual, and we will be doing a majority of our work through our Discord Server.
- It would be beneficial if you could complete KNIME’s Level 1 (L1) and Level 2 (L2) self-paced courses before the event. These courses are free.
- Access to all KNIME certification exams for free will be given to all participants.
- The detailed schedule will be posted soon on this website!
We will put forth five challenges. Each team is asked to select a single challenge at the beginning of the hackathon and to create a KNIME workflow that can solve the challenge.
You are allowed to use Python to write supplemental code if you need to. However, the Python code should be created as a KNIME node and used as such in the workflow.
As this is a hackathon, we will only be handing out the challenges on the date of the hackathon. However, we have outlined the broad areas around which the five challenges will focus on below
- Prediction of Disease Outbreaks
- Personalized Medicine and Pharmacovigilance
- Medical Image Analysis
- Promoting Diversity and Equity in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring and Telemedicine
Sources of data for the challenges can be harnessed from the following
All projects submitted on time will be individually assessed by a panel of five judges first. The individual scores will then be averaged and discussed among the judges to identify the winners of the hackathon.
Detailed feedback will be provided to the top ten submissions with recommendations on how they might take the project forward.
The detailed judging criteria, along with a description of the judging committee, will be released at the beginning of the hackathon.
Please use the following Google Form to register for the event
Register by clicking here to participate in the Future Health Pioneers: KNIME Innovation Hackathon
410 North 12th Street
Richmond, VA 23298-5048
Contact phone number
Email the event coordinators at